Party Wall Surveyors


dsc02957 dsc00140 dsc01539
  • 27 Girdwood Road
  • London SW18 5QR
  • Tel: 020 8287 2808

Our Services for Building Owners

If you intend to carry out building work which involves:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property,
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property and/or
  • excavating near a neighbouring building,
then you must find out whether the work falls within the scope of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. If it does, then you must serve the statutory notice on all those defined by the Act as adjoining owners. Alan Riley Associates has the expertise to help you identify just who is an ’adjoining owner’ for the purposes of Act. We will prepare all the documentation required and clarify just who is an adjoining owner within the meaning of the Act (not as simple as it sounds - see our FAQ’s) and serve notices on your behalf.
Speak to Alan Riley FRICS MFPWS on 020 8287 2808 or email us at for help and advice with serving party wall notices

Our Services for Adjoining Owners

You may have been served a party wall notice by your neighbour or become aware of proposed works to your neighbour’s property. If this work falls within the scope of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 then you cannot stop someone from exercising rights given to them by the Act, but you can influence how and when the work is done. Under the Act, a person who receives a notice about intended work may give consent within 14 days, or give a counter notice setting out what additional or modified work he would like carried out is. If an adjoining owner does not do either of these two things, then a dispute is regarded as having arisen. It is Important that you respond correctly and within the time limits set by the Act. Alan Riley Associates will ensure that notices are responded to correctly and that you have the protection of the Act. Except in very rare circumstances, our costs are covered by your neighbours who are carrying out the work
For advice on what to do if you have been given a party wall notice, or if you think your neighbours are carrying out work without having served a statutory notice, speak to Alan Riley on 020 8287 2808 or email us at

Dear Alan
Thank you very much for all your help in this matter.

Mrs E G   London LETTER 30 April 2014